Why do people lie?

 


I sought the Lord, and he heard me, 
and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 34:4

Have you ever wondered why people lie? The bible tells us the story of Abraham that told pharaoh that Sarah was his sister, although she was his wife (Genesis 12:11-19). Why did he do that? It says that Abraham was afraid that pharaoh would kill him in order to take his wife for himself.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, 
because fear has to do with punishment. 
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1John 4:18

The root of all lie is: fear! Once a mother complained to me about this habit of lying that her son had and how much she wished he would tell her the truth. She said he would tell her he was going to school but in fact he was going to play with his friends. So I asked her... what would happen if he told her the truth, and she replied he would be in big trouble! No wonder he wouldn´t tell her the truth! So we can see that when people lie to us or we get to lie, the cause of it is: fear of the consequence of truth.

 Then you will know the truth, 
and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

Fear is the opposite of trust. These two concepts clash. Lying will make us prisoners of it. And God has never created us to be bond to anything but to Him, who is the very expression of Love. But one may ask, if God doesn´t intend to harm us, why did he created hell? Hell was never created for men, but for Satan and his demons. God won´t condemn people who trust Him! That is why He sent Jesus so that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. 

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1

Truth is the very nature of  God. On the other hand, the devil is a liar and a father of lies. It is God´s desire that we grow in our relationship with Him and find out that there is no need to fear once we get to know that He is the one who takes care of us and everything related to us! 

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:6

Trusting Him will release us from every fear, trust is built as we learn to experience his goodness and be conscious of His loving presence every moment of our day. So may truth permeate all our relationships, for that is the very expression of God in our lives and such a legitimate confession of our trust in Him. 


I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: 
my God; in him will I trust. 
Psalm 91:2 



EVERY WEEK A NEW POST!

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to manage time...

Taking delight in God´s will...

Being a living magnet: attracting good things...