What does it really mean to fix our eyes on Jesus?


Resultado de imagem para man on the mountain

"...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of faith." 
Hebrews 12:2

We often hear people say that in order to win a battle we need to look unto Jesus and not to the problem. But how do we do that? Since -normally- we can´t really SEE him with our natural eyes, how do we put that in practical terms?

The answer to that is more simple than we may think. Whenever we are going through some situation, our full attention goes to OURSELVES: our limitations, our lacks, our inability, our weaknesses ... and here it becomes obvious that if our focus is on all that, it is automatically off Jesus and ALL He has ALREADY PROVIDED for us on the cross. 

But the big trap which comes along with all these feelings is: condemnation. We may look at ourselves and question our faith for we were taught that we shouldn´t feel that way. But Jesus himself is the AUTHOR and PERFECTER of our faith. He doesn´t want us to look at our own hearts in order to find "all the stuff" we need to live life; rather He designed us to find in Him the source of all power and strength to overcome every battle in life. 

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." 
John 16:33

That is why Paul would often say that we rejoiced over his weaknesses. We normally cry over our weaknesses, praying that God will change us... but if we quit focusing on US, our eyes will turn unto JESUS and confidence will rise for we will find PEACE in Him. 

"But the Lord said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2 Cor 12:9

In practical terms, to take our eyes off ourselves would mean: not to entertain in our minds thoughts as: "I need a better heart"; "my heart hurts"; "I am so disappointed with people"; etc...Although all that may be true, to keep thinking or saying that to yourself will only cause your eyes to be turned fully to the very things that bring you down. Saying out aloud "STOP" or.. to start singing a SONG (even if it is only in your mind) is one weapon to break that cycle and prepare our eyes to look towards the RIGHT way! 

"I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains." Psalm 121:1-2 (MSG) 

So, FORGET THE MOUNTAINS. To look unto Jesus will become more and more natural the moment we quit being mesmerized by our failures and feelings. We must leave all that behind and run towards the One who is the sure fountain of everything we need to live life in such abundant way, as we were made for.

"I do not consider that I have made it my own yet; 
but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind 
and reaching forward to what lies ahead" 
Phil 3:13

Resultado de imagem para running



EVERY WEEK A NEW POST!



Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to manage time...

Taking delight in God´s will...

Being a living magnet: attracting good things...